Here’s eight ways to save on last minute flights and travel.
- Learn the Basics of the Travel Industry
- The travel industry is made up of several players—GDS or “global distribution systems” provide data to the online portals and travel agents (or OTAs—online travel agencies). Meta search providers aggregate flight and hotel inventory across OTAs and direct providers like airlines. Understanding how the basic value chain works will enable you to make better travel purchases in the long run.
- Don’t Waste Time Searching in Twenty Different Places
- Meta search providers aggregate data across many of the OTAs and airlines. Instead of checking Skyscanner, Priceline, Expedia, Kayak, and Momondo, stick with one meta search provider and use a flight deal monitoring service like the one offered at Escape Flight to get notified when there’s a flight deal for your destination.
- Travel industry insiders produce yearly reports on the best times and days to purchase flights. This year, the best day was Tuesday. Booking a flight on a Tuesday could net you a 20% savings in airfare. The best days to travel will vary between routes and destinations.
- Check your shopping memberships, employee discounts, credit card deals and frequent flyer miles. There’s probably a few hundreds dollars in there somewhere. Many airlines and travel providers offer discounts and deals for affiliated organization—you just have to look. Learning about fre